Sep 7, 2007

Teaching in Asia

Jo can give a better account of this than me as he's been at is for real (paid) for like 2 months now. see jomaworld.blogspot.com (Pics of kids from Laos school):


My first teaching was when I tried to read a book next to the lake in Hanoi. Every twenty minutes or so I would get approached by someone wanting to practice their english with me. I ended up teaching a group of school kids english out of books for a couple of hours but it was good fun. Also met a guy who wanted to take me out for a meal of cat and dog!


Hardest part is that they can't hear some of our sounds (and I can't hear the difference between some of theirs). 'Sh' sounds like 's' to them. Makes some words fun...


I also did a spot of volunteer teaching around the local schools of the villages around Vang viang in Laos. Here we had morning classes where we pretty much did what we wanted. If we weren't there to teach, the kids would have no teachers at all. I have to admit I didn't do too much teaching here anyways however as I was having way more fun just playing with them and at that age why not?

The night classes were a bit more serious and they understood english quit well. It was sort of like we were preparing them for jobs. Again, using books we helped improve their pronounciation and so on. Nice to give a little back for once.

No comments: